How best to use Phantom Cameras in ACES

idt
on-set
cameras
phantom
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9649a749f0> #<Tag:0x00007f9649a74888> #<Tag:0x00007f9649a74748> #<Tag:0x00007f9649a745e0>

(Sam Winzar) #1

I’m currently on a production using ACES on set (with LiveGrade) through to post which is working out well. However we will have a Phantom 4K on set for a day and I can’t find an IDT for Phantom Log. How would you recommend handling this footage? I know LiveGrade has a Reverse Rec709 IDT but I don’t think you would get the best results using that with the Phantom’s Rec709 output.

(Steve Tobenkin) #2

Hi Sam,

Just wanted to acknowledge your post. Vision Research isn’t currently an ACES Product Partner, but I’m trying to see if I can find some help for you.

Hopefully more tomorrow.

Steve T

(Brian Gaffney) #3

Hi Sam,

Does this project involve a post partner who is supporting the ACES pipeline? If so, they may be able to help support this camera. Recently, SHED worked on “Guardians of the Galaxy 2” and I know that they worked with CODEX to debayer the files and apply a custom out that matched ACES primaries and supported an ACES proxy workflow to keep things in the same space. Final color at Technicolor was done through custom transforms. The camera fell right into place and everyone was happy with the look. I would capture in REC709 and ignore the CDL process on set and leave this up to near-set post partner to color match into the dailies and DI pipeline. I would also follow-up with Vision Research and see what they recommend.

(Ptr) #4

We are also in contact with Vision Research about this topic. We had a few requests for this already, and trying to get such transforms directly from them – or collect the information needed to create IDTs ourselves. I’ll keep you posted when we got news about this.

(Eric Denis) #5

Hi, I was wondering if you had any follow-up from Vision Research about an IDT in order to work with a Phantom in ACES?

(Sönke Heuer) #6

Hello everyone,
I just found this in the Vision Research press release:

“ACES color space support - convert Flex4K cines into ACES color space by converting them to the open .exr file format – new in this version of PCC.”
(https://www.phantomhighspeed.com/News-Events/Newsroom/Press-Releases/major-updates-to-phantom-flex4k-now-available)

I hope that is not something you guys know already for a long time, but at least I haven’t heard about it before.
So instead of using an IDT, it could be a workaround to convert the media with the PCC tool from vision research and then import it as ACES2065-1 in the desired software. We are doing some tests right now.

Do you have any experience with the ACES export of the vision research tool? Is it somehow reliable?

(Sam Winzar) #7

Thanks Sönke, great see Vision Research has this option in there software. My main issue is still the lack of IDT for setting looks on set with LiveGrade. It would be great to see one or the option for the camera to output ACES Proxy like RED does.