Cinema4D in an ACES workflow

workflow
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007febc93d87b0>

(Peter) #1

Hello,

I have managed to get a good ACES workflow going in our small company. From ingest over compositing to grading and archival everything works pretty good.
The last missing bit in that workflow is Cinema4D. Has anyone a good solution for that?

The only way I can think of is the possibility to use custom viewing ICC profiles in the application.
So I tried to make those using OpenColorIO in Aftereffects. But whatever transform I write to a ICC profile there, delivers visually wrong results in Cinema4D.

3D-Rendering is no problem. I render OpenEXR files, which are always sRGB/linear, which can easily be matrixed to ACES AP0.
But when put through the RRT/ODT, of course, the look changes.

So I need to have a “live” viewing RRT/ODT transform for the Cinema4D editor. And that should be possible through a viewing ICC-Profile. Isn’t it?

Anyone else tried that or has some tips for me?

Thanks!

Peter

(Alan Gordon) #2

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I’m trying to figure out similar things with C4D. As far as I can tell it doesn’t have much in terms of robust color management.

Did you end up figuring anything out?

(Peter) #3

No, nothing has changed. I can ony see a sRGB picture in Cinema4D and have to see what it will look like through tha RRT/ODT. A little workaround is to setup an ACES RRT/ODT Project in Afterefects and the render to the same filename in Cinema4D. Then you can switch to AE and get a RRT/ODT Preview. Far from a good solution. But at least a solution.

I tried to convince MAXON to have a look into ACES. But they say then have no idea what this is at all And obviously they are not interested to get informations about it.

If anyone has a solution to that, maybe through ICC profiles, I would be still very interested.

Peter