Should we use D65 or D60sim when viewing in "normal" conditions?

Hello,

We’re working on CG animated films that use ACES 1.03. We’re checking our images on both sRGB monitor and projector (DCDM).

The lighting environment in our working area has been recently changed with brighter and cooler light.
We were using the sRGB D60sim ODT with the previous lighting that was quite dark and warm. I’m wondering if we should use the D65 ODT with our sRGB display that are now in a quite bright and neutral environment?

I don’t exactly understand the goal the d60/d65 odt: is it present to match the ACES whitepoint, or to adapt the white perception in different situations?

@Vincent_Gires The D60 sim ODTs aren’t intended to compensate for the chromaticity of the surround but rather the calibrated white point (which chromaticity R=G=B produces by default) of the display. You might want to take a look over here : D60 Sim for 709 and sRGB

I think the main thing to consider first is where will the consumer see the images you are working on. If in a darkened theater than a D60sim is most appropriate. (even if only sRGB primaries). If the main intent is for TV then the D65 ODT best matches how it will be seen. It is most likely that with describing a brighter cooler light that the D65 ODT is the correct one to use but only because the images are more likely to be viewed in brighter (perhaps even daylight-lit ) rooms.

Thank you for your replies. So, no matter the surronding lighting, if the main use will be the theater, we should use d60sim?
But what about the other outputs (web, dvd, etc), should they still use d60sim?

Yes, the other ones CAN use D60sim to match the Cinema appearance.
In practice though, conversion to D65 does not show a tremendous difference in most content.
I do not convert to D65 myself but others have.