Ready-to-use downloads of ACES OCIO configs?

Hi there!

Just wanted to know and/or suggest why there is no section with downloads of ‘ready to work’ versions of the ACES OCIO configs? Wouldn’t it be good to have them here as well, prebuilt for everyone to download and just start using?

And it would be very nice if there would be an easy prebuilt download for at least every “master” version of ACES. At the moment, this according to this page https://github.com/ampas/aces-dev is 1.0.3, right? But the most actual prebuilt version of the ACES OCIO config I could find is 1.0.2: https://github.com/hpd/OpenColorIO-Configs/tree/master/aces_1.0.2

Wouldn’t it be good to have a prebuilt version available shortly after the release of a new master version, so all the not-so-technical guys wouldn’t have to built them from the sources? Not everyone has the knowledge to do that I think.

Thanks!

Hi Abraham,

If I remember correctly what HPD told me, the only reason the built config is not version control anymore is because of its size which is getting problematic if hosted on Github as it makes the repo substantially big. I do agree though that there should be built versions available hosted somewhere, probably on the Academy - ACES website.

Cheers,

Thomas

1 Like

Hi,

The ACES 1.0.3 OCIO config is in progress. It will be uploaded to my github repo when ready. I’ve been putting the finishing touches on a few minor things that were dependent on the release being finalized.

HP

Hello again,

The ACES 1.0.3 Python code has been updated and the config.ocio and LUTs were generated this morning. They can be found here:

The highlights of the new release are:

• An sRGB D65 ODT
  • The ACEScct colorspace
  • Better organization of colorspaces, for applications like Nuke
  • Updates to IDTs from ARRI, Canon and Red.

Please take a look at the config and let me know if you see any issues. If all seems good, I’ll submit a pull request to move this into the main Imageworks OCIO config repository.

One note: The role assignments have not changed considerably. If we want to make that happen, now is the time.

HP

Thanks HP,
this is really useful stuff.

isn’t https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs the real repository for the configs?

But do you have any idea on how can i download this files on my machine ?

Hello @giloz,

Let me know if it works for you,
Chris

1 Like

Hi @giloz,

Note that, as implied by @ChrisBrejon link, the officially maintained config is on the colour-science reposity, not the ImageWorks or hpd one: https://github.com/colour-science/OpenColorIO-Configs.

Reasons as to why are complicated but this is where you can fins the latest.

Cheers,

Thomas

Hey Chris,
Is there a description somewhere what are those files / folders doing and why we need them and where ?
I did download everything but would be great to learn why we need certain files and how they are connected, what uses them etc.

Cheers,
Viktor

Are you guys able to share the steps of installing OCIO / ACES ?

So far I have downloaded the ACES 1.2 folder from github and created a folder locally that is easily accesible - C:\ACES1.2\

I then created a new environment variable OCIO pointing to the OCIO config file in the above mentioned folder.

Are there any further steps to the installation ?

I have then checked the settings in Maya - it looks good but I have a few issues. The basic setup works - I have ACEScg as a rendering color space and ACES sRGB for display.

However, when testing this with shaders ( with Arnold ) when using textures no matter what colorspace I set for an imported texture file, the render won’t change at all.

Also, my color picker seems weird - selecting 0.5 mid grey will result a value 0.303 when color management is turned off , which seems odd.

Any help or comments would be very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Look in the Arnold TX manager to see what color spaces your textures are in. You may need to update them.

The color picking role in the config should be changed to ACEScg to avoid colors that go above 1 which makes them emissive.

Hey all,

I’m curious to know if anyone here has ACES 1.2 running and using OCIOv2 config?

I’ve been setting up Autodesk’s Maya 2022 and noticed that now it prefers OCIO v2 over v1.
From what I can see none of the “official” repositories have a “version 2” color profile config pre-built/generated and available for people to pick up and use. So where should people start (those who are not about to start setting up repo’s and compiling stuff)?

e.g. for ACES 1.2 it appears as if the config is v1.
h**ps://github.com/colour-science/OpenColorIO-Configs/tree/feature/aces-1.2-config
…which is also strange because I thought ACES 1.2 (and above) was supposed to go hand-in-hand with OCIOv2(and up) releases. :face_with_monocle:

Now, I’ve found some ‘example/reference’ v2 config files like this one e.g. (see Michael Dolan’s posts):

h**ps://github.com/AcademySoftwareFoundation/OpenColorIO-Config-ACES/pull/34

…but looking at the configs (with my not so trained eye) it appears they’re not compatible with the latest releases of ACES that’s available (in this case 1.2).
It doesn’t look like I can use those “as-is” … or am I wrong? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

On another note, ACES 1.3 - where is that on the roadmap? From what I can gather it has officially been released but the “official” repository has no trace of it.

Any information appreciated - Thanks!

-M

Maya 2022 comes with a default ACES 1.2 config using OCIO v2.

Hey Derek,

You are referring to the Autodesk provided package (limited) that comes with the installation of Maya 2022:

here e.g in Windows.
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2022\resources\OCIO-configs\Maya2022-default

…which is not a scale-able solution for a studio setup. …and far from a complete deployment of the “official” repositories.

I’m asking about an “official” full release, that people (and studios) can deploy for use in multiple software. e.g. Nuke, Arnold, Renderman etc. Not limited to Maya or a user’s local program folder.

such as fetching this complete one:

h**ps://github.com/colour-science/OpenColorIO-Configs/tree/feature/aces-1.2-config/aces_1.2

…only this package contains a v1 of the config file NOT a v2.

cheers.

I don’t think that full config is officially released yet. There should be an ACES 1.3 OCIOv2 config ready at some point. OCIOv2 is backwards compatible with v1 so why not use the current ACES 1.2 config?

I believe the ACES 1.3 config requires OCIO v2.1 for the RGC. DCC software (Maya, Nuke, Houdini, etc) is using OCIO v2.0 which was is in the VFX Reference Platform for calendar year 2021.

Like Shebbe said, I don’t believe an official ACES config for OCIO v2.0 has been released officially, but there is a reference config available (with caveats):

Personally, I made mine from the Maya one and the OCIO v2 demo config. This works in multiple DCC apps so I’m not clear on what you mean when you say they are not scalable. Perhaps you could expand on that and what you are missing from them exactly.

BTW, I’m not sure Renderman works with OCIO v2. Last time I checked it was only compatible with v1, but perhaps that has changed recently.

hope that’s helpful.

Hello,

As for 1.3 in the legacy depot, this won’t happen, see my reply here: aces 1.3 build config · Issue #13 · colour-science/OpenColorIO-Configs · GitHub

The legacy depot is basically an archive at this point and will not receive any more features. The future config work is happening in the new repository here: GitHub - AcademySoftwareFoundation/OpenColorIO-Config-ACES and we should have a lightweight config soon. It will only include a subset of transforms for CG work and omit, purposely all the camera’s IDTs and the ODTs that were deemed irrelevant.

Cheers,

Thomas

@Derek …just saying that most users don’t prefer to be hacking together a “franken-config” from multiple sources or scrounging around the various Program Files folders to assemble a suitable setup for something as crucial as what a vfx production color workflow actually is.
…and yes, of course, one could compile/generate a new config (fulfilling all of their desires) using the tools in the repo but that isn’t for all people to do.
Renderman was just an example of software that relies on ACES/OCIO in general.
I will give the v2 demo config a look - thank you.

@Thomas_Mansencal - Sounds good, I’ll keep an eye out for those “official” configs. If you do happen to have any say in the whole process, please consider to make various optional configs. Although most people probably only use a limited set of transforms, I could potentially see a full config file (although it may contain a lot of noise) being useful to someone out there.

Thanks again guys,
cheers!

1 Like

Hi Mathias,

I do have a say and I’m one of the main contributors to the implementation, the plan is to ultimately have them configurable, probably with a UI online where you can pick what you need.

We envision 3 configs initially:

• Reference: Already released (see the assets here) and implements aces-dev, strictly.
  • CG: For CG work, as mentioned above.
  • Studio: Fully fledged config with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers,

Thomas

1 Like