We are about to implement the ACES pipeline in our studio projects and I want everything to be correct. I’ve read lot about the ACES pipeline, I think I’m on the right path but please correct me if I’m wrong.
So, the project that we are starting is shot on ARRI RAW. There are lots of shots that need VFX. We are doing CG in Maya and Houdini for this project.
Here is what I’m planning to do:
- Convert every ARRI RAW shot to ACES2065-1 EXRs using NUKE
- We work on CG using Maya and render it with ACES-CG
- Open blank NukeX, import previously converted ACES2065-1 EXR. Using OCIOColorSpace node, change in to ACES - ACES2065-1 and change out to ACES - ACESCG.
- Import Maya renders which are rendered in ACES-CG.
5, Composite everything.
- When compositing is done, change in to ACES - ACESCG and change out to ACES - ACES2065-1.
- Add write node, put ACES - ACES2065-1 in colorspace and export for color grading.
Is this workflow correct? Am I missing something or will this kind of workflow work perfectly with every step of the project including color grading.
Thanks in advance.