Affinity photo / Raw stills to ACES

Hi to all!

Does anyone have experience with Affinity photo? I’d like to import some stills from big name manufacturers into ACES.

I was wondering if anyone could walk me thru the motions of bringing a RAW still (canon, nikon, sony, leica etc…) into ACES.

So far here’s is what I have done:

1. Import .cr2 while 32 working space is set to ACEScg.

2. At this point my reasoning is that I’m in Linear ACEScg but I have a SRGB 2.1 display profile applied.

What happens if I export this image to EXR. Will it be in ACEScg?

Now at this point I’m not sure I’m in the right spot… What I’d like is to be unmanaged so I can use OCIO to convert back to ACES 0. But I cannot switch to unmanaged.

Considering I might be in ACEScg, I then export to EXR and re-import with a _acescg suffix. But… When reimporting Affinity automatically applies a display profile as Linear SRGB 2.1.

Ultimately, what I want is to have a "correct" ACES-AP0 linear EXR that I can import into Davinci Resolve and have the correct rendering of RRT and ODT.

It would also be great to have a correct rendering of the RRT/ODT combo in affinity so I can double check in Resolve. (VIA OCIO)

My aim with this is to enable clients (i work in film) to use their pre-production stills (set visits) to set a LOOK in ACES that we could re-use in Davinci (and that is coherent).

Hopefully this is clear… Can anyone help me out. I’m not used to having this 'automatically" managed for me.

Thanks!

Charles B.

" 1. Import .cr2 while 32 working space is set to ACEScg." How are you initially converting your raw image? Is it being converted into a linear image in ACEScg or similar color space? There is a command line tool called “rawtoaces” to convert raw image files supported by the libraw library into ACES (see this thread: Rawtoaces - Calling All “developer-types”). Using this tool, you will convert your CR2 or similar raw file directly into a linear EXR in ACES. Then you can import this file into Affinity Photo (AP) knowing it is “correct” or avoid AP altogether and go straight to Resolve.

Have fun!

Kirk

Thanks @kirkthibault.

The RAW image is opened directly into Affinity photo via their develop panel. I made sure that the working space was set to ACEScg. Not sure if this is “converting” it or not.

I was thinking about the RAW to ACES. But I’m not well versed in this area. So Affinity was a (seemingly) good option.

Thanks!