ACES workflow for color grading cinemaDNG

workflow
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f87a675f5a0>
(Ibrahim Ziazadeh) #1

Hi,

I wonder what the exact workflow setting I should follow to color grade 14-bit RAW cinemaDNGs in ACES and linear in After Effects primarily, if not in davinci.

This was my previous workflow:
1- Set AE to 32 bpc and working space to rec 709.
2- Import cinemaDNG in AE via adobe camera raw. Select cinelog-C and fix WB, camera profile, remove nosie and sharpen and select correct lens profile. Nothing else.
3- Apply colorIO plugin and set input to cinelog-C and output to arri logC film matrix.
4- adjust exposure, saturation, vibrance, IR pllution etc.

If I want to work with ACES what should be changed in each step of my workflow?

0 Likes

(Charles Boileau) #2

Hi,

Ok so now your set in LOG-c? Cine matrix I thik does not exist anymore…
Have you converted to EXR?
Where are the DNGs coming from? A camera?

Thanks!

0 Likes

(Karim Zavaleta) #3

Thank you so much!!!

0 Likes

(Ibrahim Ziazadeh) #4

I shot with my canon 5d mark III with 14-bit raw video enabled. Cinverted the footage from RAW to cinemaDNG image sequences.

0 Likes

(Charles Boileau) #5

Ok… There’s some prettu complex things in your workflow that might prevent you from working in ACES.

• When you convert to from RAW to CineDNG: what are your choices from gamma and gamut? I’m guessing that your probably staying in linear for gamma. But the gamut would be what? Canon Cinema Gamut?

• The idea here would be to convert your footage to something that ACES “knows”. For example: could you convert to ACEScg using opencolorIO ou for that matter ACEScct? CINELOG-C is not an adequate IDT for ACES. Could you convert from cinelog-c to LOG-C or Slog3/cine? Then you could export from AE in Prores, DPX etc… and use that new file to be correctly identified in ACES.

• The other option would be to go from linear/camera gamut to linear/ACEScg (via OCIO?). And then export to EXR. But that could make playback hard.

Hopes this helps!

Cheers

0 Likes

(Paul Dore) #6

I’m attempting to grade my holiday snaps in ACES in Resolve. 5D MkIII CR2s, some of them Dual ISO. I converted them to DNGs with an app called Switch (which uses Adobe DNG Converter for the relevant camera matrix), as this seemed to help in the past when dealing with Magic Lantern Video. I’m using a custom LMT OFX DCTL as well. I’ll report back when they’re finished.

0 Likes