ACES with DisplayCal

Hi I’m noob to aces and color management system
I use DisplayCal with SpyderXElite to calibrate my moniter
in https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/what-color-space-to-choose-a10e2111/ said

It’s important to note that in regards to (display) ICC profiles, there’s no color space choice – the profile always maps from (measured) tristimulus values e.g. CIE XYZ – which define the display colorspace – to display RGB and vice versa.

profiling just define mapping between CIE XYZ and RGB in display native colorspace.

colorspace converting is done in supported programs which can read icc profile and convert embedded colorsace to display native colorpace, like Photoshop; or create specific 3dlut file contain colorspace converting and Profiling to those programs like madvr or resolve

but in Nuke ACES config 1.0.3 , I can’t specific custom lut for display(ODT),I can only select preset like sRGB rec709 DCI-p3…
and in ACES workflow seems like ODT is last step converting color

so is this mean what I seem in Nuke ACES workflow will never match my display colorspace ; or it will actually convert ODT colorspace to My display color space in background ; or I need to use DisplayCal CIECAM02 gamut mapping during Profiling , to convert native colorspace to those standard colorspace ; or I need to figure out how to create my own display ODT ?

Hi Tony,

Just to understand… You’re on an SRGB display (which is calibrated with displaycal) and you’re working in Nuke and you’re trying to figure out how to use ACES?

Thanks!

and here is my display ICC file
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xrnYmBTvOwNdoV76qiFjdY97CeUGIKDx

I don’t know what my display gamut is (acer et322qk).
in monitor OSD , I choose colorspace to standard so I can manually adjust RGB slider
In DisplayCal , I Calibrate whitepoint to D65 , Tone curve to gamma 2.6 (monitor OSD set gamma curve to 2.6 , manually adjust RGB slider to match target), but I can’t choose which color gamut to calibrate to with Calibration and Profiling.
https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/calvschar.html

these are my settings.

ACES produces output to match display standards, not individual displays. The display should be calibrated to match the standard, rather than trying to produce ACES output which “looks right” on an uncalibrated display. That is, any calibration LUT should sit downstream of the ACES output.

Bear in mind that Nuke bypasses (some, but not all) OS colour management. So the ideal is to have a monitor with a built in calibration LUT, so that it is being sent an unmodified sRGB signal, and the internal calibration is ensuring that the monitor responds accurately to that signal.

Like Nick Said… Just calibrate you monitor to a known standard (SRGB seems the best for you) and use the according ODT in ACES to match your display. From there you’ll be good to go.

Also, makes sure you don’t mix standards. Your taling about gamma 2.6 in SRGB which does not exist.

Cheers

problem is I don’t know how displaycal can calibrate monitor to specific colorspace like sRGB :frowning:

There has to be a setup for that. Seems like a pretty “complicated” software. Why not use what comes with you probe? That will for sure have it.