SMPTE Webcast: ACES 1.0 Theory and Practice

Listen to the recent Webcast for SMPTE members - generously made public by SMPTE.

In this webcast, a review of current ACES terminology, color-science and workflows will be presented for both novice audiences as well as those already acquainted with pre-release ACES. Then, beginning with the author’s real-world experience, a description of an ACES use-case for theatrical production will be discussed from on-set to post-production and visual effects (VFX) to delivery.

HOST
Joel E. Welch - Director of Education, Society of Motion Picture & Television Engineers®
GUESTS
Walter Arrighetti - CTO of Frame by Frame,
Francesco Giardiello - Workflow Supervisor and DIT

Listen to the presentation and download the PDF slides here: https://www.smpte.org/education/webcasts/aces-1-theory-and-practice

Please note: this is a moderately technical dive into ACES. Many users will not need to dive “into the weeds” to actually use ACES, so have a listen and be unafraid! Walter and Francesco monitor this Forum so please feel free to comment and ask questions if you want.

Thanks for sharing the link. Always something new to learn in those presentations. I wish there would be much more like this on the official YouTube channel. These was no update for 8 month at this moment in time.

This presentation should be added there if possible.

Thanks again!

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the comments. I need to work out if it’s possible to get permission to post on the ACES channel, but wanted people to have access to this info as soon as possible so I posted here as a link.

There have been some tutorials on “How to do” ACES for a number of products posted recently. Those may or may not be relevant to you and the equipment/software you use.

Appreciate your voice in the conversation.

Steve